Tinting the tail lights gives them a nice aesthetic, but it has a few drawbacks. Furthermore, tinting might result in hefty fines in some areas.
So, can you put tint on the tail lights? It depends on where you live. If the law of your state completely prohibits tinting on tail lights, you shouldn’t do this. However, many places rather have certain rules, following which should do just fine.
In this article, we will discuss the rules and restrictions, processes, and precautions to take when tinting the rear lights. You will also learn about the advantages and disadvantages of tinted rear lights. Thus, continue reading till the end.
Can You Put Tint On Tail Lights?
Yes, you can put a tint on the tail lights. But, you must be careful about the rules, regulations, and legality of using tinted lights in your state. It is against the law in some areas to tint vehicle lights. However, in some places, you can apply tint on lights if you follow a few strict regulations.
The state demands the visibility of light from behind in all of those locations. As a result, it’s obvious that you can’t apply any hue that completely blacks out the lights.
Likewise, while it is illegal in a few states like Maryland, Nevada, Washington, and New Jersey, several states like Texas, Illinois, Virginia, and Michigan allow tint with a few restrictions.
How To Apply Tint On Tail Lights?
Applying the tint of rear lights is a relatively straightforward job. There are several methods of shading the lights. Those are
- Spraying paint
- Using tint film
- Pre-smoked tail lights
In this section, we will discuss the process of these methods.
Spraying Paint On Tail Lights
In this method, you will need
- Sandpaper of 800,1000, and 2000 grits
- A can of tints
- A coating agent
- Car polish
- Wax, etc.
- Dirt-free clothes,
- Adequate water
Here are the steps:
Step 1: Remove the tail lights from the car’s body by disconnecting the screws, connectors, and wiring harnesses.
Step 2: You need to sand the tail night with 800 grit sandpaper, then 1000 grit, and eventually with 2000 grit. After sanding, you need to wash the lights with soap and water and have to dry them.
Step 3: To prevent painting on unwanted portions, you can use masking tape to protect those parts.
Step 4: Spray the paints all along the tail light lengths. The layer should be thin but ensure it gives full coverage. After applying one layer, wait a few hours before applying the new layer.
Step 5: Sand the painted tail lights lightly to stick the tint properly on its surface.
Step 6: Remove the masking tape and wash the tear lights with soap water. Let them dry for some time.
Step 7: You must apply a coat on the tinted light and polish it properly.
Step 8: Lastly, reinstall the tinted tail lights by connecting all the screws, connectors, and wirings.
It’s the easiest way of shading the rear lights. You will need
- A heat gun
- Tint film
- A sharp knife
- A squeegee
Here are the steps:
Step 1: Firstly, select the tint film of the proper shade and cut it according to the light’s shape and size.
Step 2: Spray water on the rear lights so the film can stick to the surface quickly.
Step 3: You have to remove the protective layer from the film and have to stick the film slowly on the light surface.
Step 4: You can use a squeegee to clear out the air bubbles.
Step 5: Use a heat gun to heat the film lightly on the surface.
Step 6: Cut the extended portion of tint film on the edges with a knife.
Pre-smoked Tail lights
This method refers to buying tinted tail lights from the market and installing them. Although this process takes the least time, it costs a lot. Here are the steps:
Step 1: Remove the current tail lights by disconnecting the connectors, screws, and wiring cables.
Step 2: Choose any shade of tail light from the market, considering the year and model of your vehicle.
Step 3: Install the pre-smoked tail lights and connect all the wiring cables and connectors.
What Are The Cautions While Putting Tint On Tail Lights?
In the above section, we discuss the steps for tinting your vehicle’s tail lights. But, during the process, you must be cautious about a few factors. Those are:
- Always use wet sandpaper while sanding on tail lights. Otherwise, it may damage the surface of the lights
- Use a mask and safety gloves while spraying tint on the light surface
- While spraying paint, you shouldn’t hurry; it may destroy the appearance of the surface
- Quickly stick the tint film on the surface. Otherwise, particles or dirt can enter between the film and the light surface
- Applying excess heat on the film surface may damage the film
What Are The Advantages Of Tinted Tail Lights?
Putting a tint on the rear light has several advantages which will attract you to apply it in your vehicle. Those advantages are:
- Putting a tint on your vehicle’s rear lights will represent your personality and unique style
- Tinted tail lights will enhance the appearance of your vehicle
- The spray or film of tint will protect the light lens from cracks, damages, and wear, caused by road debris, stones, and particles
- As you drive your car under sun exposure, the light lenses remain exposed to UV rays for extended periods. Eventually, this will make the lens smokey and foggy. But, if you use tints, they will protect the light lenses from UV rays
- You can also put tint on the lights to cover the past cracks, scratches, wear out, and damages
- Generally, tints on the light last for a more extended period and also cost less. That’s why you will get an excellent effect for a longer time by spending less money
What Are The Disadvantages Of Tinted Tail Lights?
Although there are numerous advantages of putting tint on the taillights, several disadvantages are also significant. Those are
- The tinting on the tail light will lessen the visibility of your vehicle to other drivers at night
- On any rainy or snowy day, the tinted tail light will become an adverse feature for your safety
- If you tint your rear lights, there is always a risk of being pulled out by police for safety reasons. That’s why you must know properly about the legalities of tinting tail lights in your state
- If you can’t apply the tint properly, it will worsen the appearance of your vehicle
- Sometimes, the process might get complex if you want to remove the tint film or spray. You may damage the light lens while doing so
In this FAQ section, we will answer multiple familiar questions that people ask about putting tint on tail lights.
Q: Is Tinting Tail Lights Costly?
No. Generally, you may need to spend around $60 to $180 per lens. You will save a lot more if you can tint the tail light yourself.
Q: How Long Does It Take To Tint A Tail Light?
As tinting the tail light is quite a straightforward job, it will take nearly 1 to 1.5 hours to complete. This time may vary according to the car model, method, and size and shape of the tail lights.
Q: How Long Does The Tint On Tail Lights Last?
With proper care, the tint on tail lights may last up to 5-10 years. If you are using a spray method for tinting, it may last 6-8 months long. But, film tint lasts for 2-7 years, and smoked one will last for 5-10 years.
Tinted rear lights are becoming popular in many regions of the globe. But, due to safety issues, many countries prohibited and restricted tinted rear lights. So, can you put tint on tail lights or not, depending on where you live and if you are following the rules?
We talked about how to tint the tail lights and how to be cautious. However, you must be cautious about the benefits and drawbacks, as well as the applicable state laws. Otherwise, there is always the chance of being involved in an unexpected mishap.
Leave a Reply