If you are planning to flat tow your Honda Accord, check the model first. Flat towing Honda Accord mainly depends on its model and transmission.
So, can a Honda Accord be flat towed? Well, yes. A Honda Accord can be flat towed. But you cannot flat tow every model year of the Honda Accord. The brand only allows the Honda Accord Sport to be flat towed.
Here, in this article, I will discuss if a Honda Accord can be flat towed, how to flat tow a Honda Accord, what things you should know before flat towing, and much more. Read till the end to learn about it.
Can A Honda Accord Flat Towed?
Yes. A Honda Accord can be flat towed.
But among all the model years of the Honda Accord, you are only allowed to tow the Honda Accord Sport. So, why only this specific model? –
- Because it has a manual transmission. Flat towing with an automatic car can damage the transmission, so when you flat tow with a manual transmission, it won’t damage your vehicle
- The vehicle Honda Accord Sport is the only one that is flat towable among other versions of the Honda Accord.
The Honda Accord Sport has the specification needed to flat tow that other model years don’t have. The specification is that the vehicle must have a manual transmission to flat tow it, which makes it compatible with flat towing the vehicle. That’s why it is the only model of Honda Accord that is allowed to flat tow.
How To Flat Tow Honda Accord?
It is clear from the above section that you can only flat tow the Honda Accord Sports. Now, how can you flat tow the vehicle? Follow the below process to flat tow the Honda Accord Sports –
- Tools according to the specific model
- Tow bar
- Safety chain
- Towbar wiring kit
- RV tow hitch
- Charge line tool
- Auxiliary braking system
Step 1: How To Do- a step-by-step process.
Step 2: Release the emergency brake
Step 3: Put the gear in neutral
Step 4: Unlock the steering wheel
Step 5: Attach the base plate on the RV
Step 6: Connect the RV and the Honda Accord with a tow bar
Step 7: Hook up safety chains on both sides of the vehicle
Step 8: Now attach a safety cable on both sides
Step 9: The process is done
Please keep in mind that if you do not follow the proper steps to flat tow the Honda Accord, it may damage your car’s transmission. So, be very careful when flat towing the vehicle Honda Accord and have the proper equipment with yourself.
What Speed Should I Maintain While Towing Honda Accord?
You should maintain 70 mph at least in the freeways. And do not lower the speed below 45 mph when towing a vehicle on freeways. Driving at high speeds can badly hamper transmission.
Again, on arterial roads, you should always maintain 65 mph of vehicle speed when towing the Honda Accord.
What Are The Precautions To Take Before Flat Towing?
You should remain aware of a few things before you flat tow the Honda Accord. The precautions are following –
- Check the motorhome or RV’s towing capability and include hitch weight with it
- Determine the Honda Accord vehicle’s tare weight. And keep in mind that the Honda Accord’s weight should be less than the RV’s/motorhome’s weight
- Determine the towing capability of the RV
- You should not tow any vehicle which has internal issues with it
- The towing vehicle should have a license plate
- Have proper tools with you to flat tow the vehicle
Can Flat Towing Damage My Honda Accord?
Flat towing the Honda Accord can’t damage the vehicle if the model year allows flat tow. But the Honda Accord can be damaged if you don’t abide by some rules. So what rules can lead the Honda Accord to be damaged? Check it out here –
- If the Honda Accord model year is not flat towable
- If the flat towing set-up is not done correctly
- The Honda Accord can get damaged if you do not maintain the proper speed
What Are The Benefits Of Flat Towing Honda Accord?
As there are many ways to tow the vehicle, multiple benefits exist if you go for flat towing. Look at below to learn about this-
- Flat towing is most affordable towing way than other towing systems as the tools are not expensive comparatively
- Flat towing is easy to maneuver
- Only one person is enough to set up the whole process for flat towing
- You won’t have to worry about the vehicle wearing out
- Easy to disconnect the set-up
Flat towing any vehicle is easy. Although, the setup is different for automatic and manual. You can’t flat tow the vehicle with automatic transmission. Because the specifications don’t match. However, the following guides I mentioned above are enough to safely flat tow the Honda Accord Sports.
Put simply, you cannot flat tow other versions of the Honda Accord except for Honda Accord sports. The specifications do not support automatic transmission, and the Honda Accord is a manual transmission car, so you can only flat tow this version of the car.
Leave a Reply