Regarding practicality and versatility, the Honda Magic Seat is nothing short of magical. But what exactly is this innovative feature, and which Honda models have it?
The Honda Magic Seat is a unique seating system that allows you to configure your vehicle’s interior in various ways, making it the perfect choice for families, commuters, and anyone who needs a little extra space.
With its multiple seating modes and clever storage options, the Honda Magic Seat can transform your Honda into a cargo-carrying machine in just seconds.
So, whether you’re hauling groceries, sports equipment, or furniture, the Honda Magic Seat has covered you. In this guide, we’ll take a closer look at this ingenious feature and explore which Honda models come equipped with it.
So, get ready to be amazed by the Honda Magic Seat and all the incredible ways it can make your life easier!
What Is Honda’s Magic Seat?
It isn’t clear what Honda’s engineers were trying to achieve when they designed the “Magic Seat”, a back seat that is incredibly flexible and convenient.
A third-row Odyssey minivan’s seats can fold into the floor quickly, hence the name.
However, most people are familiar with the Magic seat, as found in the Fit subcompact, which was abandoned in 2021, and the HR-V compact crossover, which will be redesigned in 2023.
It helps that both of these small vehicles have the Magic seat, making them more convenient than many competitors.
Firstly, the headrests can be lowered almost to the same level as the backrest when not in use, increasing rear visibility. It folds down perfectly flat, so it can maximize cargo space. The backrest is divided 60/40.
The Magic Seat’s biggest surprise is that the seat folds up against the backrest to create a useful area behind the front seats.
Read on to learn more about Magic Seat® modes and which Honda models are equipped with them.
The Tall mode allows the driver to fold up the back seats in a vertical position to make up to four feet of vertical space for taller cargo items, such as plants and artwork.
To transport longer cargo items, such as ladders or surfboards, the driver can extend the passenger seat in Long Mode.
With Utility Mode, you can fold down the 2nd-row Magic Seat® to make 52 cubic feet for bigger cargo items like bikes or small couches.
Refresh mode allows the front passenger to fold the front seat back and recline the rear seat for more legroom and comfort.
While in refresh mode, the passenger lies in the backseat with their feet stretched across the backrest of the front passenger seat.
Step-By-Step Instructions To Use the Honda Magic Seat®
- Release and Store the Center Seat Belt
- Secure the Seat Belt in the Holder Located on the ceiling
- Lower Head Rests All the Way
- Use Seatback Release Levers to Lower the Seatback
- Lift the Seat Cushions Up for More Vertical Space
Honda Odyssey Magic Seat Key Features
- The two outboard seats in the second row can be repositioned laterally when the center seat is removed.
- Both Magic Slide® 2nd-row seats have fold-down armrests on each side.
- The seat belts are fully integrated into the seat.
- There are five stops for each seat and 12.9 inches of range.
- The outboard-seat position can be adjusted from the front and the rear of the seat, as can the seatback recline angle.
- All 2nd-row seats can be removed for maximum cargo-hauling capacity.
Honda HR-V Magic Seat Key Features
- Utility Mode: This mode features a low floor height, which makes loading large and heavy items easier, and four tie-down anchors ensure cargo is secured. Its maximum cargo capacity can be reached when it is in this mode (58.8 cubic feet, to be exact).
- Tall Mode: Tall objects, such as large plants, often require the Tall mode to be used to carry them. There are almost 4 feet of space from floor to ceiling, so a mountain bike can even be parked without its front wheel.
- Long Mode: The Long Mode is perfect for those who need to carry longer items such as lumber, a stepladder, a surfboard, etc. Simply fold down the rear seat on the passenger’s side and tilt the front-passenger seat all the way back, and you will have up to 8 feet of room.
Do All Hondas Have Magic Seats?
With both the 2018 Honda HR-V compact SUV and the 2018 Honda Ridgeline truck, the seat bottom folds up to make it easier for the driver and passenger to stow taller items.
Moreover, the rear seats on the Ridgeline can be folded down to store cargo. Despite offering much seating flexibility, the Magic Slide seats in the 2018 Honda Odyssey are not the same as those in the previous Odyssey.
During the launch of the previous generation Civic in 2017, Honda stopped offering Magic Seats, and the 2022 model also has no Magic seats due to the fuel tank’s relocation. It’s true, though, that the new Jazz and HR-V feature magic seats.
What Is The Stowable 2nd-Row Center Seat?
For the 2023 model year, the Honda Pilot introduces the stowable 2nd-row centre seat. Like Honda’s Magic Seat®, it’s purpose-built for maximum comfort.
With the armrest put in place, it serves as a handy armrest and cup holder for a pair of captain’s chairs or as a full seat for an eight-seater bus.
Additionally, it can be readily removed and hidden away in a special compartment in the rear cargo area so that people or things can more freely pass through the second row.
A roof rack is a great solution if you need to carry high objects, such as a houseplant, a musical instrument, or a fragile package.
The operation should be easy for you, and since the seat is divided 60/40, you can lift one side and seat someone on the other.
Consider the Fit or HR-V as options for a sub-compact car or SUV if you want more space and convenience.