Are you a Civic lover looking for more than just a Sedan or a Hatchback? You can also be sporty and get the raw thrill of the road with Civic Type R.
No, we are not talking about another Civic trim. Honda Civic Engineers was determined to build a racing car for the road. Finally, they succeeded! The first Type-R Civic came alive as one of the world’s best racing cars.
The 2023 Honda Civic Type R is based on the sixth generation of the Honda Civic – the fan base EK Civic. It is a sporty hatchback but fun to drive and comfortable with redefined daily use opportunities.
Today, we will learn everything about the Honda Civic Type R 2024 – history, functions, usability, performance, and efficiency. The first look of this compact car is so exciting, that we can not but write more about it.
- The Honda Civic Type R is an exceptional sporty car. The +R button on the steering wheel unlocks the Civic’s full potential. Click it to show off the Type R really is. It sequentially manipulates throttle response, steering, and suspension.
- Surprisingly, the Civic Type R has the record for the fastest front-wheel-drive (FWD) production car lap time at the Nürburgring Nordschleife. The car can handle the world’s most challenging race tracks with remarkable performance.
- Additionally, the Type R Civic features a Triple Exhaust system. The unique design element highly optimizes the car’s exhaust flow, boosting the car’s impressive horsepower and torque delivery.
- Each Honda Civic Type R comes with a Unique Serial Number plate. It delivers an exclusive touch to the ownership. Also, it represents the car’s production sequence and manufacturing information.
- Although available in multiple colors, the Championship White Color option for the Civic Type R pays tribute to the heritage of Honda’s racing history.
Honda Civic Type R Overview:
Believe it or not! The 2023 Honda Civic Type R is ranked first due to its performance in the Sport Compact Cars category. To this day, it has a score of 9.3 out of 10.
The Civic Type R is available as a hatchback only. The most cultured version of the Civic – the 11th generation is the base behind the development of Civic Type R 2023. It was released on June 16, 2021.
In short, the new Civic Type R comes with the same turbocharged four-cylinder engine as the previous model, but with an output of up to 315 horsepower and 310 pound-feet of torque.
Honda Civic Type R Change Log
The first Civic received a Type R template on August 19, 1997. It was introduced as the EK9. Here’s the mini changelog of Type R Civic for your convenience,
First Generation (EK9): September 1997 – 2000
Second Generation (EP3): 2001–2005
Third Generation (FD2): 2007–2011
Fourth Generation (FK2): 2015–2017
Fifth Generation (FK8): 2017–2021
Sixth Generation (FL5): 2022 – Running
The sixth generation Civic Type R was in production in 2022. Currently, the 2023 model year Type R is available in the market.
Mark that, we only had a few limited editions of Type R in 2021. Honda released only 600 Civic Type R for the USA, Phoenix Yellow pearl paint.
The Type R was available in the LE Type R. It was 17 kg lighter than the regular Type R. Also, the LE version picked up the Michelin Sport Cup 2 tires with a glossy black roof. Soon, drew attention with the hood scoop and external mirrors.
**LE: A special setup from the plant to go fast on any track you bring it to. They are usually lighter and more nimble than the Type R standard. They are specially built and the lightweight and firm grip helps you nail the road as you push down the apex.
In 2023, the Civic Type R went through significant changes. It was built in Japan with a powertrain from Ohio. Dai Hara designed the exterior of the 2023 model year and here is what we have,
- A few changes have been made to the 6-speed manual transmission of the FWD to support the increased power.
- Additionally, Honda has also improved the brake cooling in order to support the handle track-day damage.
- The aerodynamics of the Civic Type R extend beyond our imagination. The front air curtain, rear wing, and vortex generators of the Type R work harmoniously to improve stability at high speeds.
- Performance and comfort, both are on the same track with Type R. The front seats are specially designed with a bolstered profile. It offers exceptional support during free driving without compromising comfort. Details below.
- The Civic Type R 2023 also comes with a specially Tuned Suspension System. The adaptive damper system offers a seamless transition between a comfortable ride for everyday use and a firmer setup for dynamic driving situations.
- To improve traction and cornering functionalities, the Type R has the helical limited-slip differential. This is an advanced system and it ensures optimal power distribution to the front wheels, mitigating wheelspin.
- The onboard datalogger of the Type R no longer requires a smartphone app. It can now be easily accessible via the car’s 9.0-inch infotainment display.
The 2023 model year of the Honda Civic Type R was amongst the few popular hatchback choices. In fact, the car earned a place in the 2023 top 10 best cars list at the topgear.com award.
What’s New in the 2024 Model Year?
Similar to the 2023 model year, the 2024 model year of the Type R includes +R, Individual, Sport, and Comfort modes. We believe, in 2024 Honda is going to run the 6th generation Type R in the automobile market, additionally with a few updates.
In 2024, we are going to have a 48% wider grille aperture than all previous Civic Type R models. That’s not all.
We will also have a wide and low hood vent that will maximize the engine cooling and reduce airflow resistance. In addition, we will also have the optimized brake ducts in the 2024 Civic Type R. It will keep the front brakes cooler through multiple laps of circuit driving.
2024 Civic Type R – Interior
The interior remains the same as the 2023 model year. If you know only a little about it, here’s your pick on the interior of the Civic Type R.
The 2023 Civic Type R falls no short of the sporty visual symbol. In fact, it offers a more minimalistic interior design, overcoming its predecessors.
The front seats are comfortable and supportive and also feature a tone of red accents with faux carbon-fiber trim. A series of shift light indications sit atop the new digital cluster. It prevents slamming up against the redline between shifts.
** Fun Fact: Don’t forget to check the temperature before placing your palm on the aluminum gear knob.
The Civic Type R falls in the Hatchback category, so if you have doubts about the cargo space, let us assure you, that it offers the same passenger and cargo space as any standard Civic hatchback. With sporty features + the space of a passenger van, the Civic Type R is a remarkable dual-purpose vehicle.
2024 Civic Type R – Fuel Economy, Warranty & Safety Features
According to the EPA, the 2017 Civic Type R’s slight horsepower boost does not come at the expense of fuel economy. The Type R earns 22 MPG in the city and 28 MPG on the highway.
However, we will keep you updated, if any change in the fuel economy shows up with the 2024 Civic Type R, we will surely add it here.
Safety features are top-notch with Honda vehicles, and that’s not exceptional for Type R. Similarly, safety features for the upcoming 2024 Type R are more likely to have,
- Forward collision warning and automated emergency braking are standard.
- Lane-departure warning and lane-keeping assistance should be onboard.
- Adaptive cruise control as a regular safety feature.
Here are some key points on the Honda 2024 Type R in short,
- In-line 4-cylinder with Turbocharger and Intercooler
- 19 in Matte Black Alloys
- 6-Speed Manual Transmission w/Rev-Match Control
- Wireless Apple CarPlay®4 Compatibility
- 22 City – 28 Highway – 24 Combined MPG Rating
It’s time to discuss what we like about the Type R Civic model, and yes! Of course, what we don’t like.
What We Like About Civic Type R 2024?
- Purely sporty handling
- Gentle and smooth ride
- A high list of standard features
- Upscale and comfortable cabin
- Bold and aggressive exterior design
What We Like About Civic Type R 2024?
- The sport-tuned suspension may get less comfortable for daily commuting.
- Civic Type R requires premium fuel. It can increase overall ownership costs.
- It’s only available in the front-wheel drive option.
The starting price of the Honda Civic Type R is as competitive as its performance. Plus, the Civic Type R lies in the top tier of the Civic range.
Including all the base features, 2.0 liter, premium Unleaded Petrol, 6 Speed manual, the 2023 model year Civic Type R is available at $72,600.
Only a few options are available after the initial MSRP. However, it is still less expensive than the Volkswagen Golf R, and the price almost catches up with the entry-level Toyota Supra.
However, although no specific detail regarding the 2024 Honda Civic Type R has been published, we believe it’s not going to be so strict on us. Keep in mind that the Civic Type R is ultimately the best economical five-door sports car.
In the end, if you want our opinion, the Civic Type R is a remarkable sporty compact car. If you want to settle for the magnificent sporty features but within a reasonable budget, the Honda Civic Type R would be great for its value.
It is athletic and yet offers all of the cargo space of a Honda hatchback. You can explore as broadly as you want riding on this car. Additionally, thanks to the responsive steering, powerful engine, and smooth ride.
Plus, the cargo is handsome and roomy, and the infotainment system is user-friendly.
So, if you are up for a sporty ride in a small car, the Type R would be the exact right pick for you.
Let us know in the comment section what impression you have of the Honda Civic Type R? And what changes are you expecting in 2024.
Also, share our article with your friends who are interested in the Type R Civic. We will soon come back with another article. Next on, Civic Sedan Vs. Hatchback, what’s the difference?