The 2018 Honda Accord is a popular and highly acclaimed midsize sedan that offers an exceptional combination of style, performance, and technology. Known for its reliability and fuel efficiency, the Accord has been a top choice for many car buyers.
In this comprehensive guide, we will provide you with all the information you need to know about the 2018 Honda Accord, including its engine options, trim levels, features, safety technologies, and more.
Whether you’re considering buying a used Accord or simply want to learn more about this iconic vehicle, this guide will serve as a valuable resource to help you make an informed decision.
So let’s dive into the details and explore what makes the 2018 Honda Accord a standout choice in the midsize sedan segment.
Key Specifications of the 2018 Honda Accord
- Engine Options: The 2018 Honda Accord is available with two engine options. The base engine is a 1.5-liter turbocharged four-cylinder that produces 192 horsepower and 192 lb-ft of torque. For those seeking more power, there is a 2.0-liter turbocharged four-cylinder engine available, generating 252 horsepower and 273 lb-ft of torque.
- Transmission: The Accord offers a choice between a continuously variable transmission (CVT) and a six-speed manual transmission for select trims.
- Fuel Efficiency: The 1.5-liter engine delivers impressive fuel efficiency, with an EPA-estimated 30 city/38 highway mpg for the CVT model*. The 2.0-liter engine offers a slightly lower fuel efficiency of 23 city/34 highway mpg with the ten-speed automatic transmission*.
- Interior Space: The Accord boasts a spacious and comfortable interior, with ample legroom and headroom for both front and rear passengers. The trunk offers a generous capacity of 16.7 cubic feet.
- Sleek and Modern Design: The 2018 Honda Accord features a bold and sophisticated exterior design, with sleek lines and a sporty stance that sets it apart from its competitors.
- Advanced Safety Features: Honda Sensing® is standard on all trims of the 2018 Accord, providing a comprehensive suite of safety and driver-assistance technologies, including collision mitigation braking, lane keeping assist, adaptive cruise control, and road departure mitigation.
- Comfortable and Well-Appointed Cabin: The Accord offers a high-quality and comfortable interior, with soft-touch materials, supportive seats, and intuitive controls. It also includes features such as dual-zone automatic climate control, a touchscreen infotainment system, and available smartphone integration.
- Limited Rear Visibility: The Accord’s sleek design and sloping roofline can restrict the rear visibility, making it important to rely on the rearview camera and blind-spot monitoring system for assistance.
- Lack of All-Wheel Drive Option: Unlike some competitors in its segment, the 2018 Honda Accord is only available in front-wheel drive configuration, which may not appeal to those seeking all-wheel drive capability for enhanced traction and stability in certain conditions.
Improvements Compared to Previous Honda Models
- Redesigned Exterior: The 2018 Accord received a complete redesign compared to its predecessor, featuring a more aggressive and sporty appearance with a longer and wider stance.
- Increased Power and Efficiency: The introduction of turbocharged engines in the 2018 Accord lineup offered improved performance and fuel efficiency compared to the previous naturally aspirated engines.
- Enhanced Technology: The 2018 Accord introduced a new touchscreen infotainment system with Apple CarPlay and Android Auto integration, providing seamless smartphone connectivity and access to various entertainment and navigation features.
- Advanced Safety Features: The Honda Sensing® suite of safety and driver-assistance technologies became standard on all trims of the 2018 Accord, offering a higher level of safety compared to previous models.
- Improved Cabin Space: The redesigned Accord provided increased rear legroom and a larger trunk capacity, ensuring a more comfortable and practical driving experience.
The Trim Levels of the 2018 Honda Accord
List of Trim Levels with Key Specifications:
- Engine: 1.5-liter turbocharged four-cylinder
- Transmission: Continuously Variable Transmission (CVT)
- Key Features: Dual-zone automatic climate control, LED headlights, 7-inch infotainment display, Bluetooth connectivity, Honda Sensing® safety suite.
- Engine: 1.5-liter turbocharged four-cylinder
- Transmission: Six-speed manual transmission or CVT
- Key Features: 19-inch alloy wheels, rear spoiler, sport pedals, leather-wrapped steering wheel, 8-inch infotainment display, Apple CarPlay and Android Auto compatibility.
- Engine: 1.5-liter turbocharged four-cylinder
- Transmission: CVT
- Key Features: One-touch power moonroof, heated front seats, blind-spot monitoring, rear cross-traffic alert, 8-inch infotainment display.
- Engine: 1.5-liter turbocharged four-cylinder
- Transmission: CVT
- Key Features: Leather-trimmed interior, driver’s seat memory settings, power-adjustable front passenger seat, 10-speaker premium audio system.
- Engine: 2.0-liter turbocharged four-cylinder
- Transmission: Ten-speed automatic transmission
- Key Features: LED headlights with auto on/off, ventilated front seats, wireless phone charging, head-up display, HondaLink telematics system.
Comparison Table of the 2018 Honda Accord Trim Levels
|Dual-zone automatic climate control
|Apple CarPlay/Android Auto
|Heated Front Seats
|Blind Spot Monitoring
|Rear Cross-Traffic Alert
|Ventilated Front Seats
Performance of the 2018 Honda Accord
Engine Size, Power, and Type
The 2018 Honda Accord offers two engine options:
- 1.5-liter turbocharged four-cylinder engine: This engine produces 192 horsepower and provides a balanced power delivery for everyday driving needs.
- 2.0-liter turbocharged four-cylinder engine: This engine delivers an impressive 252 horsepower, offering a more exhilarating performance for those seeking a sportier driving experience.
The 2018 Honda Accord’s horsepower varies depending on the engine choice. The 1.5-liter engine generates 192 horsepower, while the more powerful 2.0-liter engine produces 252 horsepower.
Both engines provide ample power for acceleration and overtaking on the highway.
The torque output of the 2018 Honda Accord is as follows:
- 1.5-liter engine: 192 lb-ft of torque
- 2.0-liter engine: 273 lb-ft of torque
The higher torque of the 2.0-liter engine results in improved low-end acceleration and overall performance compared to the 1.5-liter engine.
The 2018 Honda Accord offers two transmission options:
- Continuously Variable Transmission (CVT): This transmission is available across all trim levels and provides smooth and efficient power delivery.
- Six-speed Manual Transmission (6MT): The Sport trim level offers a manual transmission for those who prefer a more engaging driving experience.
The choice of transmission impacts the driving dynamics and control of the vehicle. The CVT prioritizes fuel efficiency and smoothness, while the manual transmission allows for more precise gear changes and a more connected driving experience.
The 2018 Honda Accord boasts excellent fuel efficiency figures:. .
- 1.5-liter engine with CVT: EPA-estimated 30 city/38 highway mpg.
- 2.0-liter engine with 10-speed automatic transmission: EPA-estimated 23 city/34 highway mpg.
These fuel efficiency ratings make the Accord an economical choice, reducing the frequency of refueling stops and offering savings at the pump.
Suspension and Handling
The 2018 Honda Accord features a MacPherson strut front suspension and a multi-link rear suspension.
This setup strikes a balance between ride comfort and handling precision, providing a smooth and composed ride while also offering responsive handling characteristics.
The Accord’s suspension tuning allows for confident cornering and a stable ride quality, making it enjoyable to drive in various road conditions.
The 2018 Honda Accord comes equipped with a reliable braking system that includes ventilated disc brakes on all four wheels. The braking system offers responsive stopping power and precise control, enhancing safety and overall driving experience.
Additional Performance Measuring Factors
- Acceleration: The 2018 Honda Accord accelerates from 0 to 60 mph in around 7.6 seconds with the 1.5-liter engine and around 6.1 seconds with the 2.0-liter engine, providing quick acceleration for merging onto highways or passing slower vehicles.
- Top Speed: The top speed of the Accord varies depending on the engine and trim level, but it is generally electronically limited to around 120-130 mph.
These performance factors contribute to the overall driving experience and demonstrate the 2018 Honda Accord’s capability in delivering both efficient and engaging performance on the road.
Off-road Ability Depends on Several Factors, Including
Four-wheel Drive (4wd)
The 2018 Honda Accord does not come with a four-wheel drive (4WD) system. It is primarily designed as a front-wheel-drive sedan, optimized for on-road performance and handling.
The ground clearance of the 2018 Honda Accord is approximately 5.8 inches. While this ground clearance is suitable for navigating typical road conditions, it is not specifically designed for off-roading.
Off-road vehicles typically have higher ground clearance to handle uneven terrain and obstacles more effectively.
The 2018 Honda Accord features a traction control system that helps optimize traction during acceleration, particularly in slippery conditions. However, the traction control system primarily enhances performance on paved surfaces rather than off-road terrains.
The 2018 Honda Accord presents two compelling trim options to cater to different driving preferences. The V6-L variant boasts a powerful 3.5L unleaded petrol engine, mated with a 6-speed automatic transmission.
With a braked capacity of 1600kg, this trim demonstrates its capability to handle moderate towing needs effectively.
The VTi-L trim, on the other hand, features a 2.4L unleaded petrol engine paired with a 6-speed automatic transmission.
This combination delivers a balance of performance and efficiency. Similar to the V6-L, the VTi-L also offers a braked capacity of 1600kg, indicating its ability to handle towing requirements.
Whether you prioritize the robust power of the V6-L or the balance of performance and efficiency of the VTi-L, the 2018 Honda Accord provides options that meet diverse driving preferences.
Both trims offer a braked capacity of 1600kg, ensuring the ability to tow medium-sized loads while enjoying the Accord’s performance, comfort, and features.
|2018 Honda Accord
|3.5L, Unleaded Petrol, 6 SPEED AUTOMATIC
|2.4L, Unleaded Petrol, 6 SPEED AUTOMATIC
Cargo Space and Storage
The 2018 Honda Accord offers a spacious interior with ample cargo space. It provides a trunk volume of approximately 16.7 cubic feet, which is generous for a midsize sedan.
While this cargo capacity can accommodate everyday luggage and items, it is not specifically tailored for off-road adventures where additional storage or specialized equipment may be required.
It’s important to note that the 2018 Honda Accord is primarily designed for on-road driving, prioritizing comfort, fuel efficiency, and handling characteristics.
While it may handle light off-road conditions such as dirt or gravel roads, it is not intended for challenging off-road trails or rugged terrains.
When considering off-road capabilities, it is advisable to opt for vehicles specifically designed and equipped for such purposes, such as dedicated off-road SUVs or trucks with features like four-wheel drive, increased ground clearance, off-road suspension, and enhanced traction systems.
Exterior and Styling of the 2018 Honda Accord
The 2018 Honda Accord boasts a sleek and modern exterior design that combines elegance with a touch of sportiness. It features a bold front grille, sculpted lines, and a well-proportioned body that exudes confidence on the road.
The Accord’s aerodynamic shape not only enhances its visual appeal but also contributes to improved fuel efficiency and reduced wind noise. With its stylish and contemporary look, the 2018 Accord stands out among its competitors in the midsize sedan segment.
Interior Design and Aesthetics
Inside the 2018 Honda Accord, you’ll find a thoughtfully designed cabin that prioritizes both comfort and functionality. The interior boasts high-quality materials, meticulous attention to detail, and a refined aesthetic.
The layout is user-friendly, with well-placed controls and intuitive interfaces. The Accord offers a spacious cabin that provides ample headroom and legroom for both front and rear passengers, ensuring a comfortable ride for everyone.
With its attractive interior design, the 2018 Accord creates a pleasant and inviting environment for occupants.
Smooth Driving Experience
The 2018 Honda Accord is widely praised for its smooth and composed driving dynamics. Its suspension system strikes a balance between comfort and agility, absorbing bumps and road imperfections with ease while maintaining stability during cornering.
The Accord’s precise steering and well-tuned chassis contribute to a responsive and enjoyable driving experience.
Compared to other car models in its segment, the 2018 Accord stands out for its refined ride quality, allowing occupants to enjoy a comfortable journey even on longer trips.
Upper Dashboard Size
The upper dashboard of the 2018 Honda Accord offers a well-designed layout that provides easy access to essential controls and information.
The placement of buttons, knobs, and touchscreen interfaces is within reach and designed to minimize distraction, allowing drivers to stay focused on the road.
The Accord offers a comfortable and adjustable driving position that caters to a wide range of driver preferences. The seats provide good support, and the available power-adjustable features allow drivers to find their ideal position easily.
The ergonomic design ensures that critical controls are within easy reach, enhancing the overall driving experience.
Controls and Instrumentation
The controls and instrumentation in the 2018 Accord are designed with user-friendliness in mind. The buttons and switches are logically placed and have a solid feel, enabling intuitive operation.
The instrument cluster provides clear and easily readable information, allowing drivers to stay informed without distraction.
Visibility and Sightlines
The Accord prioritizes good visibility with its well-designed window placement and slim pillars. The large windshield and side windows offer excellent forward and peripheral vision, reducing blind spots and enhancing safety.
Rearward visibility is also well-managed, aided by features such as a rearview camera and available blind-spot monitoring systems.
Comfort and Seating
The 2018 Honda Accord offers comfortable seating for both the driver and passengers. The seats are designed to provide adequate support and cushioning, allowing for a relaxed and enjoyable ride.
The available power-adjustable seats and optional features like heated and ventilated seats further enhance the comfort level.
In terms of ergonomics, the 2018 Accord also pays attention to other details such as interior storage compartments, cup holders, and overall cabin layout.
These thoughtful touches contribute to the overall convenience and functionality of the vehicle, ensuring a pleasant and user-friendly experience for occupants.
Safety Features and Iihs Safety Ratings
The 2018 Honda Accord comes equipped with a comprehensive range of safety features to prioritize the protection of occupants. Standard safety features include advanced airbags, antilock brakes, stability control, traction control, and a rearview camera.
Additionally, Honda Sensing, a suite of advanced driver-assistance systems, is available as an option on higher trims. Honda Sensing includes features like forward collision warning, automatic emergency braking, lane departure warning, lane-keeping assist, and adaptive cruise control.
These systems work together to provide an extra layer of safety and help mitigate potential accidents.
In terms of safety ratings, the 2018 Accord received excellent scores from the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS).
It earned the highest rating of “Good” in all crashworthiness tests conducted by the IIHS, including moderate overlap front, side, roof strength, and head restraint tests.
The Accord also received a “Superior” rating for its available front crash prevention system, when equipped with Honda Sensing.
Warranty Coverage and Reliability
The 2018 Honda Accord comes with a standard warranty package that includes a 3-year/36,000-mile limited warranty and a 5-year/60,000-mile powertrain warranty.
Honda is known for its reliability, and the Accord has a strong reputation for being a dependable vehicle. The brand has consistently received positive ratings for reliability and customer satisfaction.
The life expectancy of a vehicle can vary depending on various factors such as maintenance, driving conditions, and individual usage. With proper care and regular maintenance, the 2018 Honda Accord has the potential to provide a long service life.
Honda vehicles, including the Accord, are known for their durability and longevity, making them a popular choice among car owners.
Oil Type Used
The 2018 Honda Accord typically requires synthetic engine oil. It is recommended to refer to the owner’s manual or consult with a qualified technician to determine the specific oil type and viscosity that best suits the vehicle.
While the 2018 Honda Accord is generally regarded as a reliable vehicle, there have been some reported issues that owners have encountered.
It is important to note that the occurrence of problems can vary among individual vehicles, and not all owners may experience the same issues.
Some reported problems with the 2018 Accord include transmission issues, such as hesitation or rough shifting, as well as infotainment system glitches.
It is advisable to research specific recalls, technical service bulletins, and owner forums to gather more information about any potential problems associated with the 2018 Accord and to stay informed about any available solutions or updates.
Regular maintenance and addressing issues promptly can help mitigate potential problems and ensure the vehicle’s optimal performance.
Other Honda Accord Models –