The 2012 Honda Accord is a popular and well-rounded vehicle that offers a comfortable and reliable driving experience. Known for its longevity and practicality, the Accord appeals to a wide range of car buyers.
Whether you’re looking for a sedan or a coupe, the Accord offers multiple trim levels and engine options to suit your preferences. From its efficient four-cylinder engines to the powerful V6 option, the Accord provides a balance of performance and fuel economy.
Additionally, the Accord boasts a comfortable and spacious interior, advanced safety features, and a host of convenience options.
We will explore the specifications, features, and options available in the 2012 Honda Accord, providing you with all the information you need to know about this reliable and versatile vehicle.
Key Specifications of the 2012 Honda Accord
- Engine Options: The Accord is available with three engine choices:
- In-Line 4-Cylinder Engine: 2.4L displacement, producing 177-190 horsepower and 161-162 lb-ft of torque.
- V6 Engine: 3.5L displacement, producing 271 horsepower and 254-251 lb-ft of torque.
- Transmission Options: The Accord offers various transmission options:
- 5-speed manual transmission (available on select trims)
- 5-speed automatic transmission (standard on most trims)
- 6-speed manual transmission (available on certain trims)
- Body Styles: The Accord is available as a sedan or a coupe.
- Safety Features: It comes equipped with dual-stage front airbags, front side airbags, side curtain airbags, vehicle stability assist, anti-lock braking system, and tire pressure monitoring system.
The Good About the 2012 Honda Accord
- Reliability: The Accord has a strong reputation for reliability and longevity, making it a trustworthy choice for car buyers.
- Comfortable Ride: It offers a comfortable and smooth ride, with well-cushioned seats and a quiet cabin.
- Fuel Efficiency: The four-cylinder engine variants deliver impressive fuel efficiency, making the Accord an economical choice for daily commuting.
- Spacious Interior: The Accord provides ample space for both front and rear passengers, ensuring a comfortable ride for everyone.
- Strong Performance: The V6 engine option delivers powerful acceleration and performance, satisfying drivers who seek a more spirited driving experience.
- Advanced Safety Features: The Accord comes with a comprehensive set of safety features, including advanced airbag systems and stability control, ensuring the safety of occupants.
The Bad About the 2012 Honda Accord
- Outdated Infotainment System: The Accord’s infotainment system may feel outdated compared to more modern and advanced systems found in newer vehicles.
- Limited Standard Features: Base trims may lack some of the advanced features and technologies that are available in competitors’ models.
- Mediocre Interior Materials: While the Accord offers a comfortable cabin, the quality of interior materials may not match those found in some competitors.
Improvements Compared to Previous Honda Models
- Revised Styling: The 2012 Accord features updated exterior styling, with a refreshed front grille and rear design elements, giving it a more modern and refined appearance compared to previous models.
- Enhanced Fuel Efficiency: The 2012 Accord saw improvements in fuel efficiency across its engine lineup, allowing for greater savings at the pump.
- Improved Safety Features: Honda introduced additional safety features, such as the inclusion of side curtain airbags and advanced compatibility engineering body structure, to enhance occupant protection.
- Upgraded Technology: The 2012 Accord introduced new technological features, such as available Bluetooth HandsFreeLink, USB audio interface, and optional navigation system with voice recognition, bringing it in line with the latest industry standards.
- Refined Handling: Honda made adjustments to the suspension and steering systems, resulting in improved handling and a smoother ride quality compared to previous models.
These improvements in the 2012 Honda Accord demonstrate Honda’s commitment to enhancing the driving experience, safety, and overall appeal of their popular midsize sedan and coupe.
The Trim Levels of the 2012 Honda Accord
- Engine: 2.4L In-Line 4-Cylinder engine with 177 horsepower and 161 lb-ft of torque.
- Transmission: 5-speed manual or 5-speed automatic.
- Key Features: Air conditioning, power windows and door locks, cruise control, 160-watt AM/FM/CD audio system with 6 speakers, 16-inch wheels.
- Engine: 2.4L In-Line 4-Cylinder engine with 190 horsepower and 162 lb-ft of torque.
- Transmission: 5-speed manual or 5-speed automatic.
- Key Features: Added features from LX trim include power moonroof, alloy wheels, premium interior accents, dual-zone automatic climate control, 270-watt AM/FM/6-disc in-dash audio system with 7 speakers (EX-L), leather-trimmed seats (EX-L), heated front seats (EX-L).
EX V-6/EX-L V-6
- Engine: 3.5L V6 engine with 271 horsepower and 254 lb-ft of torque.
- Transmission: 5-speed automatic.
- Key Features: Added features from EX trim include V6 engine, chrome exhaust finisher, dual exhaust, 18-inch alloy wheels, projector-beam halogen headlights with auto-off, 10-way power driver’s seat with power lumbar support (EX-L), leather-trimmed seats (EX-L), heated front seats (EX-L).
Comparison Table of the 2012 Honda Accord Trim Levels
|Air conditioning, power windows and door locks, cruise control, 160-watt audio system, 16-inch wheels
|Power moonroof, alloy wheels, dual-zone climate control, 270-watt audio system, leather-trimmed seats, heated front seats
|EX V-6/EX-L V-6
|V6 engine, chrome exhaust finisher, 18-inch alloy wheels, projector-beam headlights, 10-way power driver’s seat, leather-trimmed seats, heated front seats
Performance of the 2012 Honda Accord
Engine Size, Power, and Type
The 2012 Honda Accord offers two engine options:
- 2.4L In-Line 4-Cylinder Engine: This engine delivers between 177 and 190 horsepower, depending on the trim level.
- 3.5L V6 Engine: The V6 engine produces 271 horsepower, providing increased power and performance.
The horsepower ratings of the Accord range from 177 to 271, depending on the engine and trim level. The power output is generally considered good for a midsize sedan, offering a balance between fuel efficiency and performance.
The V6 engine option provides a significant power boost for those seeking a more spirited driving experience.
The torque output of the 2012 Honda Accord varies depending on the engine. The In-Line 4-Cylinder engine generates torque in the range of 161 to 162 lb-ft, while the V6 engine produces 254 to 251 lb-ft of torque.
The torque figures are competitive within its segment, providing sufficient low-end power for acceleration and overtaking.
The Accord offers several transmission options:
- 5-speed manual transmission: Available on select trims, it allows for a more engaging and involved driving experience.
- 5-speed automatic transmission: This is the standard transmission for most trim levels, providing smooth and efficient gear shifts.
- 6-speed manual transmission: Available on certain trims with the V6 engine, it offers precise and sporty gear changes.
The choice of transmission impacts the car’s performance by influencing acceleration, fuel efficiency, and driver engagement.
The 2012 Honda Accord delivers competitive fuel efficiency for its class. The 4-cylinder engine variants achieve EPA-estimated fuel economy ratings ranging from 23 to 34 MPG in the city and 33 to 34 MPG on the highway.
The V6 engine models have slightly lower fuel economy ratings, ranging from 20 to 22 MPG in the city and 29 to 33 MPG on the highway. Overall, the Accord strikes a good balance between performance and fuel efficiency.
Suspension and Handling
The Accord features a double wishbone front suspension and an independent multi-link rear suspension. This setup provides a balance between comfort and sporty handling.
The Accord’s suspension is tuned to deliver a smooth and composed ride while maintaining responsive handling characteristics. The precise steering and stable chassis contribute to confident cornering and overall enjoyable driving dynamics.
The 2012 Honda Accord comes equipped with power-assisted ventilated front disc brakes and solid rear disc brakes. This braking system provides reliable and consistent stopping power, enhancing overall safety and control.
Additional Performance Factors
- Acceleration: The Accord offers competitive acceleration, especially with the V6 engine option, allowing for quick and responsive throttle response.
- Weight Distribution: The Accord has a favorable weight distribution, typically around 60% front and 40% rear, which contributes to balanced handling and stability.
- Cornering Stability: The Accord’s suspension setup and well-tuned chassis offer good cornering stability, allowing for confident maneuvers on both straight roads and curves.
- Redline: The Accord’s engines have a redline, which represents the maximum engine speed at which the engine can operate safely and efficiently. The Accord’s redline typically ranges from 6,800 to 7,100 RPM, depending on the engine and trim level.
Off-road Ability Depends on Several Factors, Including
The 2012 Honda Accord is primarily designed as a front-wheel drive vehicle. Four-wheel drive (4WD) or all-wheel drive (AWD) systems are not available in the standard trim levels of the Accord.
As a result, its off-road capabilities are more limited compared to vehicles specifically designed for off-roading.
The ground clearance of the 2012 Honda Accord varies depending on the trim level and equipment. Generally, the Accord has a ground clearance of around 5.8 to 6.1 inches.
While this ground clearance is sufficient for regular road conditions, it may limit the vehicle’s ability to navigate rough or uneven off-road terrain.
Therefore, the Accord is not specifically designed or recommended for off-roading activities.
The Accord features traction control as part of its standard safety equipment. This system helps optimize traction and stability on slippery or uneven road surfaces.
While it can provide some assistance in mild off-road conditions, it is not intended for challenging off-road environments.
The 2012 Honda Accord comes in several variants, each offering a reliable and efficient driving experience. The V6-L model is powered by a 3.5L engine and equipped with a 5-speed automatic transmission.
It runs on unleaded petrol and has a braked capacity of 1200kg. Similarly, the VTi, VTi Limited Edition, VTi-L, and VTi-LN models are all equipped with a 2.4L engine, 5-speed automatic transmission, and run on unleaded petrol.
They also share the same braked capacity of 1200kg. These specifications highlight the consistent performance and towing capabilities of the 2012 Honda Accord lineup, making it a versatile and practical choice for individuals looking for a well-rounded sedan.
|2012 Honda Accord
|3.5L, Unleaded Petrol, 5 SPEED AUTOMATIC
|2.4L, Unleaded Petrol, 5 SPEED AUTOMATIC
|VTi Limited Edition
|2.4L, Unleaded Petrol, 5 SPEED AUTOMATIC
|2.4L, Unleaded Petrol, 5 SPEED AUTOMATIC
|2.4L, Unleaded Petrol, 5 SPEED AUTOMATIC
Cargo Space and Storage
The Accord offers a decent amount of cargo space for a midsize sedan. The trunk has a cargo volume of approximately 14.7 cubic feet, providing ample room for everyday items and luggage.
While this cargo space can accommodate some outdoor gear, it may not be suitable for larger or bulkier items typically associated with off-roading activities.
Given its design as a family sedan focused on on-road performance, the Accord does not possess specialized off-road features such as skid plates, off-road suspension, or all-terrain tires.
Therefore, it is not recommended to push the Accord beyond its intended use on paved roads.
It’s important to note that the Accord’s capabilities for off-road activities are limited. If off-roading is a priority, it would be advisable to consider other vehicles that are specifically engineered and equipped for such purposes.
Exterior and Styling of the 2012 Honda Accord
The 2012 Honda Accord showcases a sleek and contemporary exterior design. Its exterior features include a prominent chrome grille, aerodynamic lines, and stylish headlights.
The Accord’s overall styling is refined and sophisticated, maintaining a classic and timeless appeal. With its well-proportioned body, smooth contours, and available sporty accents, the Accord presents an attractive and modern appearance on the road.
Interior Design and Aesthetics
Inside the cabin, the 2012 Honda Accord offers a comfortable and well-appointed interior. The design emphasizes functionality, with logically placed controls and a driver-focused layout.
The materials used throughout the cabin are of good quality, providing a sense of durability and refinement. Depending on the trim level, the Accord can feature luxurious touches such as leather upholstery, woodgrain accents, and premium finishes.
The interior design of the Accord strikes a balance between comfort, practicality, and a touch of sophistication.
Smoothness of Drive
The 2012 Honda Accord is known for its smooth and comfortable driving experience. The suspension system effectively absorbs road imperfections, resulting in a compliant and refined ride quality.
The Accord’s well-tuned chassis and suspension provide a good balance between comfort and handling.
While individual preferences may vary, the Accord generally delivers a smoother ride compared to many other car models in its segment, prioritizing passenger comfort and road refinement.
Upper Dashboard Size
The upper dashboard of the Accord offers a well-designed layout that provides easy visibility and access to essential information. The controls and displays are thoughtfully positioned for convenient use and are within the driver’s line of sight.
The Accord offers a comfortable and adjustable driving position. The seats are designed to provide adequate support and comfort for extended periods of driving.
The driver’s seat typically features multiple power adjustments and available lumbar support, allowing drivers to find their preferred seating position.
Controls and Instrumentation
The Accord’s controls and instrumentation are intuitive and user-friendly. The placement of controls, including audio, climate, and infotainment systems, is well within reach and easy to operate.
The instrument cluster provides clear and easily readable information, ensuring that drivers can quickly access vital data while on the road.
Visibility and Sightlines
The Accord offers good visibility from the driver’s seat, with well-designed windows and mirrors. The large windshield and side windows provide a broad view of the surroundings, enhancing safety and confidence while driving.
Additionally, blind-spot monitoring systems and rearview cameras are available in higher trim levels to further improve visibility and safety.
Comfort and Seating
The Accord provides comfortable seating for both the driver and passengers. The front seats offer adequate cushioning and support, while the rear seats provide ample legroom and headroom for rear passengers.
The materials used for the seats and upholstery are of good quality, contributing to a pleasant and enjoyable seating experience for all occupants.
The Accord incorporates thoughtful ergonomic features such as well-placed storage compartments, cup holders, and easily accessible charging ports. The layout of the controls and buttons is designed to be user-friendly, minimizing distractions and promoting safe driving.
Safety Features and Iihs Safety Ratings
The 2012 Honda Accord is equipped with a comprehensive range of safety features to provide occupant protection and enhance overall safety on the road.
Standard safety features include
- multiple-threshold front airbags
- front side airbags with passenger-side occupant position detection
- side curtain airbags
- anti-lock braking system (ABS)
- electronic brake distribution (EBD)
- vehicle stability assist (VSA) with traction control
- and tire pressure monitoring system (TPMS).
The Accord also features Honda’s Advanced Compatibility Engineering (ACE) body structure, which is designed to enhance occupant protection in the event of a collision.
In terms of crash test ratings, the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS) awarded the 2012 Honda Accord with the highest rating of “Good” in frontal offset, side impact, and roof strength tests.
It also received the IIHS Top Safety Pick designation, recognizing its excellent performance in various safety evaluations.
Warranty Coverage and Reliability
The 2012 Honda Accord comes with limited warranty coverage that includes:
- Basic Warranty: 3 years/36,000 miles
- Powertrain Warranty: 5 years/60,000 miles
Honda vehicles are known for their reliability, and the Accord has a strong reputation for long-term durability. It is built with high-quality materials and engineering standards that contribute to its reliability and longevity.
Regular maintenance and adhering to the manufacturer’s recommended service schedule can help ensure optimal performance and extend the lifespan of the vehicle.
The life expectancy of a 2012 Honda Accord can vary depending on various factors such as maintenance, driving conditions, and individual usage.
With proper care and regular maintenance, the Accord has the potential to provide reliable transportation for well over 100,000 miles and often surpasses the 200,000-mile mark.
Many Honda owners have reported long-lasting durability and dependability from their Accord models.
Oil Type Used
The recommended oil type for the 2012 Honda Accord is 5W-20 synthetic blend or conventional oil.
It is essential to consult the owner’s manual or contact a certified Honda dealership or service center for the most accurate and up-to-date information regarding the oil specifications and change intervals for the specific trim level and engine configuration of the Accord.
While the 2012 Honda Accord has a generally positive reputation for reliability, it is important to note that no vehicle is entirely free from potential issues.
Some owners have reported common problems such as premature brake wear, air conditioning system issues, or electrical problems.
However, it is worth mentioning that these issues are relatively rare and can often be mitigated or resolved through regular maintenance and prompt repairs by qualified technicians.
As with any used vehicle, it is advisable to have a thorough pre-purchase inspection conducted by a qualified mechanic to identify any existing or potential problems specific to the vehicle you are considering.
This will help ensure that you make an informed decision and have a clear understanding of the vehicle’s condition and any necessary repairs or maintenance.
Other Honda Accord Models –