The 2020 Honda Accord is a highly popular and well-regarded sedan that offers a perfect balance of style, performance, and reliability.
With its sleek design, advanced technology features, and impressive safety ratings, the Accord continues to be a top choice for car enthusiasts and everyday drivers alike.
In this comprehensive guide, we will delve into everything you need to know about the 2020 Honda Accord, including its engine options, transmission choices, exterior and interior measurements, safety features, and much more.
Whether you’re considering purchasing a new Accord or simply want to learn more about this exceptional vehicle, join us as we explore the key aspects and features of the 2020 Honda Accord.
Key Specifications of the 2020 Honda Accord
- Engine Options: The 2020 Honda Accord offers two engine choices. The base engine is a 1.5-liter turbocharged four-cylinder that produces 192 horsepower and 192 lb-ft of torque. The upgraded engine is a 2.0-liter turbocharged four-cylinder that delivers 252 horsepower and 273 lb-ft of torque.
- Transmission Options: The Accord comes with two transmission options. The base engine is paired with a continuously variable transmission (CVT), while the 2.0-liter engine is mated to a smooth-shifting 10-speed automatic transmission. A six-speed manual transmission is also available for certain trim levels.
- Fuel Efficiency: The Accord boasts impressive fuel efficiency ratings. The 1.5-liter engine achieves an EPA-estimated 30 city/38 highway mpg, while the 2.0-liter engine achieves 23 city/34 highway mpg (with the automatic transmission).
- Safety Features: The 2020 Honda Accord is equipped with Honda Sensing®, a suite of advanced safety and driver-assistive technologies. This includes features like collision mitigation braking, road departure mitigation, adaptive cruise control, and lane-keeping assist.
- Interior Space: The Accord offers a spacious and comfortable cabin, with ample legroom for both front and rear passengers. The trunk provides a generous cargo capacity of 16.7 cubic feet, allowing for convenient storage.
- Engaging Driving Experience: The Accord delivers a smooth and enjoyable driving experience, with responsive handling and a comfortable ride.
- High-Quality Interior: The cabin of the Accord is well-designed and features high-quality materials, giving it a premium feel.
- Advanced Technology: The 2020 Accord comes with a user-friendly infotainment system, including a standard 7-inch touchscreen display with Apple CarPlay and Android Auto integration. Higher trim levels offer an upgraded 8-inch touchscreen, wireless smartphone charging, and a 10-speaker premium audio system.
- Strong Safety Ratings: The Accord has received excellent safety ratings, including a 5-star overall rating from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) and a Top Safety Pick rating from the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS).
- Limited Rear Visibility: The sloping roofline and thick rear pillars of the Accord can limit rear visibility, especially when parking or changing lanes.
- Lack of Standard Advanced Safety Features: While the Accord offers an extensive list of safety features, some of the advanced driver-assistive features are only available on higher trim levels or as optional extras.
- No V6 Engine Option: Unlike previous generations of the Accord, the 2020 model does not offer a V6 engine option, which may disappoint enthusiasts seeking a more powerful performance.
Improvements Over Previous Models
- Revised Exterior Design: The 2020 Accord received a refreshed exterior design, featuring a more aggressive front grille, sleek LED headlights, and bold character lines, giving it a sportier and more modern look.
- Enhanced Infotainment System: The Accord now comes with an improved infotainment system, offering a larger touchscreen display and additional connectivity options such as wireless smartphone integration.
- Expanded Safety Features: The 2020 Accord includes the Honda Sensing® suite of safety features as standard across all trims, providing advanced driver-assistive technologies for increased safety on the road.
- Improved Fuel Efficiency: The introduction of turbocharged engines in the Accord lineup has improved fuel efficiency compared to previous models, allowing for more economical driving without compromising performance.
The Trim Levels of the 2020 Honda Accord
List of Trim Levels with Key Specifications:
The LX is the base trim level of the 2020 Honda Accord and offers a solid set of standard features. It comes equipped with the 1.5-liter turbocharged four-cylinder engine, producing 192 horsepower and 192 lb-ft of torque.
The LX trim includes a Honda Sensing suite of safety features, dual-zone automatic climate control, a 7-inch infotainment touchscreen display with Apple CarPlay and Android Auto integration, Bluetooth connectivity, and a multi-angle rearview camera.
The Sport trim adds some sporty styling elements and additional features to the Accord. It is available with either the 1.5-liter turbocharged engine or the more powerful 2.0-liter turbocharged four-cylinder engine with 252 horsepower and 273 lb-ft of torque.
The Sport trim includes 19-inch alloy wheels, LED fog lights, sport pedals, a leather-wrapped steering wheel, and an 8-inch infotainment touchscreen display.
The EX trim offers a balance of comfort and technology features. It includes the 1.5-liter turbocharged engine and adds features such as a power moonroof, heated front seats, keyless entry with push-button start, remote engine start, blind-spot monitoring with rear cross-traffic alert, and a 60/40 split-folding rear seatback.
The EX-L trim enhances the luxury feel of the Accord with additional premium features. It comes with the 1.5-liter turbocharged engine or the optional 2.0-liter turbocharged engine.
The EX-L includes leather-trimmed seats, a 450-watt premium audio system with ten speakers, a driver’s seat memory function, an auto-dimming rearview mirror, and a power-adjustable front passenger seat.
The Touring trim is the top-of-the-line model and offers the most advanced features and amenities. It is available with a 2.0-liter turbocharged engine.
The Touring trim includes features like adaptive dampers, wireless smartphone charging, a head-up display, ventilated front seats, heated rear seats, a built-in navigation system, a Wi-Fi hotspot, and a HondaLink smartphone app.
Comparison Table of the 2020 Honda Accord Trim Levels
|Premium Audio System
Performance of the 2020 Honda Accord
Engine Size, Power, and Type
The 2020 Honda Accord offers two engine options. The base engine is a 1.5-liter turbocharged four-cylinder engine, which produces 192 horsepower and 192 lb-ft of torque.
The higher trim levels have an optional 2.0-liter turbocharged four-cylinder engine that delivers 252 horsepower and 273 lb-ft of torque. Both engines provide a good balance between power and efficiency.
The 192 horsepower produced by the base 1.5-liter engine is sufficient for most driving situations. It provides smooth acceleration and ample power for daily commuting and highway driving.
The 252 horsepower produced by the optional 2.0-liter engine delivers even stronger acceleration and more spirited performance.
The 2020 Honda Accord’s base engine produces 192 lb-ft of torque, which provides good low-end power and responsiveness. The optional 2.0-liter engine generates an impressive 273 lb-ft of torque, resulting in stronger acceleration and effortless overtaking.
The Honda Accord offers two transmission options. The base LX, Sport, and EX trims come with a continuously variable transmission (CVT). The Sport trim with the optional 2.0-liter engine and the Touring trim features a 10-speed automatic transmission.
The CVT offers smooth and efficient power delivery, while the 10-speed automatic transmission provides crisp and quick shifts, enhancing the performance and driving experience.
The 2020 Honda Accord is known for its impressive fuel efficiency. With the 1.5-liter engine and CVT, it achieves an EPA-estimated fuel economy of around 30 mpg in the city and 38 mpg on the highway.
The 2.0-liter engine with the 10-speed automatic transmission delivers slightly lower fuel efficiency, with an EPA-estimated rating of around 22 mpg in the city and 32 mpg on the highway.
Suspension and Handling
The Honda Accord features a well-tuned suspension system that strikes a balance between comfort and sportiness.
It utilizes a MacPherson strut front suspension and a multi-link rear suspension, providing a smooth and composed ride quality.
The Accord’s handling is agile and responsive, with precise steering and minimal body roll, making it enjoyable to drive on both city streets and winding roads.
The 2020 Honda Accord is equipped with a reliable braking system that offers strong stopping power. It features ventilated disc brakes on all four wheels, providing consistent and responsive braking performance.
Additionally, the Accord incorporates various safety features, such as an anti-lock braking system (ABS), electronic brake distribution (EBD), and brake assist, further enhancing braking capabilities.
Additional Performance Measuring Factors
- Acceleration: The Honda Accord delivers competitive acceleration, especially with the optional 2.0-liter engine, allowing for quick merges and passing maneuvers.
- Handling Stability: The Accord’s chassis and suspension setup contributes to its stable handling characteristics, providing confidence and control during cornering.
- Top Speed: The top speed of the Honda Accord varies depending on the engine and transmission configuration, but it typically reaches speeds of around 130 to 150 mph, depending on road conditions and other factors.
- 0-60 mph Time: The Accord’s acceleration allows it to achieve a 0-60 mph time in the range of 6 to 7 seconds, depending on the engine choice, making it a responsive and quick car in its segment.
Off-road Ability Depends on Several Factors, Including
The 2020 Honda Accord is primarily designed as a front-wheel drive (FWD) sedan. It does not come with a standard four-wheel drive (4WD) system. The absence of 4WD limits its off-road capabilities compared to SUVs or trucks specifically designed for off-road use.
However, the Accord’s FWD system provides good traction on various road surfaces and performs well in most weather conditions.
The ground clearance of the 2020 Honda Accord is approximately 5.5 inches (or 140 mm). While this ground clearance is suitable for normal road conditions and occasional light off-roading, it may not be sufficient for tackling rugged terrains or highly uneven surfaces.
For off-roading purposes, vehicles with higher ground clearance are generally recommended to navigate obstacles more effectively.
The Honda Accord features a traction control system (TCS) that helps improve stability and traction on slippery surfaces.
While this system enhances the vehicle’s grip during light off-roading or challenging road conditions, it is not specifically designed for serious off-road adventures.
For more demanding off-road environments, dedicated off-road vehicles with specialized traction control systems and differential lock features would be better suited.
The 2020 Honda Accord offers two distinctive trims that prioritize fuel efficiency and advanced technology.
The VTI-LX 2.0L Hybrid variant features a 2.0L unleaded petrol engine combined with an electric motor and a 1-speed automatic transmission. With its hybrid powertrain, this trim delivers impressive fuel efficiency.
However, it is important to note that the VTI-LX 2.0L Hybrid has a braked capacity of 0kg, indicating that it is not designed for towing purposes.
The VTI-LX 1.5L Turbo trim, on the other hand, is equipped with a 1.5L unleaded petrol engine paired with a speed continuously variable transmission. This combination provides a balance of performance and efficiency, ideal for everyday driving.
However, similar to the hybrid variant, the VTI-LX 1.5L Turbo also has a braked capacity of 0kg, indicating that it is not suitable for towing.
The 2020 Honda Accord focuses on delivering fuel-efficient performance and advanced features, but towing capabilities are not emphasized in these specific trims.
If towing capacity is a priority, other Accord models or variants may be better suited to meet those specific requirements.
|2020 Honda Accord
|VTI-LX 2.0L Hybrid
|2.0L, Unleaded Petrol/Electric, 1 SPEED AUTOMATIC
|VTI-LX 1.5L Turbo
|1.5L, Unleaded Petrol, SPEED CONTINUOUS VARIABLE
Cargo Space and Storage
The 2020 Honda Accord provides ample cargo space for everyday use and occasional light off-roading needs.
It offers a trunk capacity of approximately 16.7 cubic feet, which is spacious enough to accommodate luggage, groceries, and other items.
The rear seats also feature a 60/40 split-folding design, allowing for additional cargo space when needed.
While this cargo volume is sufficient for most scenarios, dedicated off-road vehicles or SUVs might offer larger cargo capacities for extensive off-road gear or equipment.
When venturing off-road in the Honda Accord, it’s essential to keep in mind that it is primarily designed as a comfortable and reliable sedan for on-road driving.
While it can handle light off-road conditions, such as gravel roads or mild trails, it is not built for extreme off-roading or challenging terrain.
If you plan to engage in extensive off-road activities, it is recommended to explore purpose-built off-road vehicles that offer specific features such as higher ground clearance, 4WD systems, and specialized off-road components.
Exterior and Styling of the 2020 Honda Accord
The 2020 Honda Accord showcases a sleek and modern exterior design that blends elegance with sportiness. Its overall appearance is characterized by clean lines, a bold front grille, and aerodynamic contours.
The Accord’s exterior features include LED headlights and taillights, chrome accents, and stylish alloy wheels, which contribute to its sophisticated and eye-catching look.
With its refined styling, the Accord stands out among its competitors in the midsize sedan segment.
Interior Designs and Aesthetics
Step inside the 2020 Honda Accord, and you’ll find a thoughtfully designed interior that combines comfort and functionality. The cabin is spacious and well-appointed, featuring high-quality materials and attention to detail.
The Accord offers a modern and upscale ambiance with available leather upholstery, woodgrain or brushed aluminum trim accents, and soft-touch surfaces.
The layout of the dashboard is clean and intuitive, placing controls within easy reach of the driver. Overall, the interior of the Accord exudes a premium feel that elevates the driving experience.
How Smooth It Drives
The 2020 Honda Accord is widely regarded for its smooth and refined driving experience. Its suspension system strikes a balance between comfort and agility, allowing for composed handling and a comfortable ride.
The Accord’s chassis and suspension have been fine-tuned to deliver precise and responsive steering, providing drivers with a sense of confidence on the road.
Compared to other car models in its segment, the Accord stands out for its excellent ride quality and overall driving refinement.
Upper Dashboard Size
The upper dashboard of the 2020 Honda Accord is designed to provide a clear view of essential information and minimize distractions.
The layout is clean and uncluttered, with key elements, such as the instrument cluster and infotainment display, positioned within the driver’s line of sight.
This thoughtful design enhances visibility and contributes to a more ergonomic driving experience.
The Accord offers a comfortable and adjustable driving position, allowing drivers to find their ideal seating and steering wheel placement.
The seats provide adequate support and cushioning for extended journeys, while the steering wheel is designed to be grippy and intuitive.
The ergonomics of the driving position in the Accord contribute to reduced fatigue and enhanced control.
Controls and Instrumentation
The placement and design of controls and instrumentation in the 2020 Honda Accord are user-friendly and intuitive.
Buttons, knobs, and switches are strategically positioned, allowing for easy access and operation without diverting attention from the road.
The infotainment system features a responsive touchscreen interface and can also be controlled through steering wheel-mounted controls or voice commands, enhancing convenience and minimizing distractions.
Visibility and Sightlines
The Accord prioritizes visibility, with large windows and slim pillars that provide excellent sightlines for the driver.
The rearview camera, available blind-spot monitoring, and other safety features further enhance visibility and situational awareness.
Overall, the Accord’s design considerations for visibility contribute to safer and more confident driving.
Comfort and Seating
The 2020 Honda Accord offers comfortable seating for both the driver and passengers. The seats are well-padded and supportive, providing a pleasant experience during long drives.
The rear seats offer ample legroom and headroom, ensuring that rear passengers can travel in comfort. Additionally, the Accord’s cabin is designed to minimize road and wind noise, further enhancing the overall comfort level.
In terms of ergonomics, the 2020 Honda Accord excels in providing a driver-centric environment that focuses on comfort, convenience, and ease of use.
The placement of controls, the quality of materials, and the attention to detail contribute to a satisfying driving experience. Additionally, the Accord’s a spacious interior and well-designed seating arrangements.
Safety Features and Iihs Safety Ratings
The 2020 Honda Accord is equipped with a wide range of safety features designed to prioritize the well-being of its occupants. Standard safety features include advanced airbags, anti-lock brakes, stability control, traction control, and a rearview camera.
Additionally, the Accord offers available advanced driver assistance systems, such as adaptive cruise control, lane-keeping assist, forward collision warning with automatic emergency braking, and blind-spot monitoring with rear cross-traffic alert.
These features contribute to the Accord’s excellent safety ratings.
In terms of safety ratings, the 2020 Honda Accord received top marks from the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS).
It earned the highest rating of “Good” in all crashworthiness tests, including moderate overlap front, side, and roof strength, and head restraints and seats.
Moreover, it received a “Superior” rating for its available front crash prevention systems. The Accord’s strong safety performance and extensive safety features make it a reliable choice for buyers prioritizing safety.
Warranty Coverage and Reliability
Honda offers a comprehensive warranty package for the 2020 Accord to provide peace of mind to its owners. The basic warranty covers the vehicle for 3 years or 36,000 miles, whichever comes first.
Additionally, the powertrain warranty extends for 5 years or 60,000 miles. Honda’s warranty coverage demonstrates their confidence in the reliability and durability of their vehicles.
In terms of reliability, Honda has a strong reputation for producing dependable cars, and the Accord is no exception. The Accord has consistently ranked highly in reliability studies and has a history of delivering reliable performance over the long term.
With proper maintenance and care, the 2020 Accord can provide owners with many years of reliable service.
The life expectancy of a 2020 Honda Accord can vary depending on several factors, including maintenance, driving conditions, and individual usage patterns.
However, with regular maintenance and proper care, the Accord has the potential to remain on the road for well over a decade.
Many Honda vehicles, including the Accord, have been known to surpass the 200,000-mile mark with proper upkeep.
It’s important to follow the manufacturer’s recommended maintenance schedule and address any issues promptly to maximize the longevity of the vehicle.
Oil Type Used
The 2020 Honda Accord typically uses 0W-20 synthetic oil. It is always recommended to consult the owner’s manual or contact a certified Honda service center to confirm the specific oil requirements for your vehicle.
Using the correct oil type and following the recommended oil change intervals will help ensure optimal engine performance and longevity.
While the 2020 Honda Accord is generally a reliable vehicle, like any car, it may experience some common issues reported by owners. These can vary from minor inconveniences to more significant concerns.
It’s worth noting that the occurrence of problems can depend on factors such as individual driving habits and maintenance practices.
Some potential problems reported by owners of the 2020 Accord include issues with the infotainment system, electrical glitches, and transmission-related concerns.
However, it’s important to remember that these issues are not widespread and can often be resolved through warranty coverage or proper maintenance.
As always, it’s advisable to stay updated on recalls and technical service bulletins and address any concerns with a certified Honda dealership or a qualified mechanic.
Other Honda Accord Models –